Senator Marlon Kimpson, his wife Kimberlyn and the Time To Give Back Committee are pleased to announce the non-profit organizations that have been selected to receive grant funding from his South Carolina Senate compensation. “It was a very competitive process and we had some tough decisions to make. All of the applicants are worthy of funding,” said Senator Kimpson. “The committee worked hard to sort through the submissions and determine how to allocate the resources. We tried to stretch the money as far as possible,” said Kimberlyn Kimpson. The grant recipients are:
- Beyond Our Walls, Inc.
- Charleston Community Impact Corp.
- Connections and You, Inc.
- LowCountry RISE
- Mt. Moriah Missionary Baptist Church Summer Youth Camp
- Real Talk, Real Action, Real Results
- Teachers’ Supply Closet
- The Tiny House Project of Charleston
- We Are Family
In addition to the above recipients, TGB also helped sponsor over 600 students from the Charleston County School District to attend the viewing of the movie Selma in February. Proceeds were also used to provide scholarships to two students to attend the Dig South Tech conference in April. This year the grants awarded range from $500 to $1,000. Last year, the grants ranged from $175 to $1,000 and were awarded to 19 different organizations. In South Carolina, state senators are compensated $10,400 gross, annually as a salary. Senator Kimpson chose a committee of citizens that reside in Senate District 42 to help him make the selections.
About the Time To Give Back Grants
The Time to Give Back initiative was established by Senator Marlon Kimpson and his wife Kimberlyn in 2014, to provide eligible non-profit organizations serving the citizens in Senate District 42 with grant funding from his senatorial compensation. To be considered for a Time to Give Back grant, the organization must meet the following criteria:
- A non-profit organization with a current 501(C)(3) public charity designation by the Internal Revenue
- The non-profit organization must serve the residents of South Carolina Senate District 42.
- Complete the application, including essay questions and provide all necessary documentation by the deadline.
For more details on Time To Give Back, please visit www.marlonkimpson.com